Forestry Extension: Youth Programs
Students at the annual forestry career development event.
As a part of the Missouri FFA Organization, FFA Forestry is a cooperative effort among educational institutions, government agencies and food, fiber and natural resource-related businesses to ensure a strong and vibrant agriculture, food, fiber and natural resource system for Missouri.
The annual Forestry Career Development Event (CDE) is held each spring in conjunction with the Missouri FFA State Convention in Columbia, MO. The top team represents Missouri at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, IN in the fall.
The Forestry CDE is designed to stimulate students' interest in forestry and the principles and benefits of forest resource management. The objectives of the CDE are:
- Understand and have a basic knowledge of forestry and agroforestry principles
- Identify trees common to Missouri
- Recognize tools and equipment and their uses in forest management
- Inventory standing timber
- Understand timber stand improvement principles
- Interpret topographic maps and understand legal descriptions
To help agriculture teachers prepare their teams, MU Forestry Extension has assembled a Forestry CDE Training Guide. It is by no means an exhaustive training tool, but it should get team members headed in the right direction.
For more information regarding event categories and rules, see the latest edition of the Forestry CDE Guidelines.