David R. Larsen, Ph.D.
- Phone: 573-882-4775
- E-mail: LarsenDR@missouri.edu
- Address: 203 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Web site: Quantitative Silviculture Laboratory
- Ph.D. 1991, University of Washington
- Quantitative silviculture, forest stand dynamics and high-resolution digital aerial photogrammetry.
- Larsen's current research includes the synthesis of the various factors that influence forest stand dynamics, including disturbance, stand development, competition and resource use. Allied research interests include the development of methodology to measure tree and canopy leaf area and coordination of forest management for multiple resources at the landscape scale to define the feasibility of proposed stand level treatments. While at first these seem like very diverse interests, they all form part of a unified concept of forest management. In all the cases, the tying concept is a description of forest structure. Trees interact in many ways to form a complex collection called a stand, and stands interact to form a forest. The practice of forest management needs a framework within which to analyze change in the forest. This research is exploring the various ways of providing this forest management framework.
- Natural Resource Biometrics
- Forest Information Systems
- Forest Stand Dynamics
- Ecological Modeling
- Lootens, J. R., D. R. Larsen, S. R. Shifley. 2007.
Height-Diameter Equations for 12 Upland Species in the Missouri Ozark Highlands. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 24(2) 149-152.
- Bu, R., H. S. He, Y. Hu., Y. Chang, D. R. Larsen. 2007.
Using LANDIS model to evaluate forest harvesting and planting strategies under the warming climate in Northeastern China Forest Ecology and Management (In Press).
- Chastain, R., M. Struckhoff, H. S. He, D. R. Larsen. 2007.
Mapping vegetatio communityes using statistical data fusion in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, Missouri, USA Photogrametric Engineering and Remote Sensing (In Press).
- Larsen, D. R. and I. R. Scott. 2007.
The Sylview graphical interface to the Sylvan Stand Structure Model with examples from southern bottomland hardwood forests. In the proceeding of the 14th Biennial Southern Silviculture Research Conference, February 27-28, 2007, University of Georgia, Athens Georgia, USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, GTR-XX.
- Larsen, D. R. and I. R. Scott. 2007.
Developments to the Sylvan stand structure model to describe wood quality changes in southern bottomland hardwood forests because of forest management, Forest Growth and Timber Quality, August 7-10, 2007, in Portland, Ore.
- Oswalt, C. M., W. K. Clatterbuck, D. R. Larsen. 2006.
Technique for predicting clear wood production in hardwood stems: A model for evaluating hardwood plantation development and management. Annual FIA Symposium. USFA Forest Service GTR XX.
- Ko, D. W, H. S. He, D. Larsen. 2006.
Simulating forest land ownership gragmentation in the Missouri Ozarks, USA. Landscape Ecology. 21:671-686.
- Larsen, D. R. 2006.
Development of a photographic method of measuring tree taper outside bark. In the proceedings of the 13th Biennial Southern Silviculture Research Conference. General Technical Report SRS-92 Ashville, NC; US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station, p. 347-350.
- Larsen, D. R. 2006.
Use of very high resolution digital oblique photography in the development of 3-dimensional models for tree measurements: Examples from ground based and aerial based platforms. Proceedings of the 20th Biennial Workshop on Color Photography, Videography and Airborne Imaging for Resource Assessment. American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (published by ASPRS on CD).
- Treiman T., J. Dwyer, D. Larsen. 2005.
Long-term economic simulation: Even-aged and uneven-aged examples from the Missouri Ozark Forest Ecosystem Project (MOFEP). Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 22(1):42-47.
- Fan, Z. F., S. R. Shifley, M. A. Spetich, F. R. Thompson, D. R. Larsen. 2005.
Abundance and size distribution of cavity trees in second-growth and old-growth central hardwood forests. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 22(3):162-169.
- Larsen, D. R. and P. L. Speckman. 2004.
Multivariate regression trees for analysis of abundance data. Biometrics 60:543-549.
- Fan, Z., S. R. Shifley, F. R. Thompson and D. R. Larsen. 2004.
Simulated cavity tree dynamics under alternative timber havest regimes. Forest Ecology and Management 193 (2004) 399-412.
- Hooten, M. B., D. R. Larsen and C. K. Wikle. 2003.
Predicting the spatial distribution of ground flora on large domains using a hierarchical Bayesian model. Landscape Ecology 18:487-502.
- Fan, Z., S. R. Shifley, M. A. Spetich, F. R. Thompson, D. R. Larsen. 2003.
Distribution of cavity trees in Midwestern Old-Growth Forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33(8):1481-1494.
- Fan, Z., D. R. Larsen, S. R. Shifley and F. R. Thompson. 2003.
Estimating cavity tree abundance by stand age and basal area, Missouri, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 179(2003):231-242.
- Colbert, K. C., D. R. Larsen, and J. R. Lootens. 2002.
Height-diameter equations for thirteen Midwestern bottomland hardwood species. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 19(4):171-176.
- Larsen, D. R. 2002. Spreadsheet stocking diagrams for Central Hardwoods. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 19(2):93-94.
- Moser, W. K., S. M. Jackson, V. Podrazsky, and D. R. Larsen. 2002.
Examination of stand structure on quail plantations in the Red Hills region of Georgia and Florida managed by the Stoddard-Neal system: an example for forest managers. Forestry 75(4):443-449.
- He, H. S., D. R. Larsen, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2002.
Exploring component based approaches in forest landscape modeling. Environmental Modeling and Software. 17(6):519-529.
- He, H. S., Z. Hao, D. R. Larsen, L. Dai, and Y. M Hu. 2002.
A Case study of landscape scale forest sucession in Northern China. Ecological Modelling 156(2-3):153-166.
- F. de Liocourt De l'amenagement des sapini'eres. Bulletin trimestriel, Sociйtй forestiиre de Franche-Comtи et Belfort, juillet 1898, pp. 396-409 English translation Nygren, M., P. Nygren and D. R. Larsen. 2001.
On the amelioration of fir forests. (Revised: February 27, 2002)