Neil I. Fox, Ph.D.
- Phone: 573-882-2144
- E-mail: FoxN@missouri.edu
- Address: 332 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building
- Post-graduate certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education 2001, University of Salford
- Ph.D. 1998, University of Salford, Atmospheric Science
- M.Phil. 1995, University of Reading, Meteorology
- B.Sc. 1988, University of Manchester, Physics
- Fox's research has a number of threads which include:
- The use of radar in the estimation and very short-period forecasting (nowcasting) of rainfall.
- The representation of rainfall in models of runoff, soil detachment and stream flow.
- Observation of winds at heights of interest to wind energy development and their relationship to the characteristics of the low-level jet.
- ATMS 1050: Introductory Meteorology
- ATMS 1110: Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- ATMS 2720: Weather Briefing
- ATMS 4400: Micrometeorology
- ATMS 4510: Remote Sensing for Atmospheric Science and Natural Resources
- ATMS 4590: Radar Meteorology
- ATMS 4990: Daily Analysis and Forecasting
- ATMS 8500: Radiation in the Atmosphere
- ATMS 8550: Nowcasting
- Lack, S.A., and N.I. Fox, 2006.
Quantifying the effect of wind drift on radar-derived surface rainfall estimations. Atmospheric Research (in press).
- Micheas, A., N.I. Fox, S.A. Lack and C.K. Wikle, 2006.
Cell identification and verification of QPF ensembles using shape analysis techniques. Journal of Hydrology (accepted).
- Gochis, D., A. Barros, A. Gettelman, J. Wang, J. Braun, W. Cantrell, Y-Q. Chen, A. Clement, N. Fox, B. Geerts, W. Han, M. Herzog, P. Kucera, R. Kursinski, A. Laing, C. Liu, E.D. Maloney, S. Margulis, D. Schultz, S. Sherwood, A. Sobel, H. Vцmel, and Z. Wang, 2005.
Future Scientific Directions: The Water Cycle Across Scales. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 86 (12), 1743-1746.
- Xu, K., C.K. Wikle and N.I. Fox, 2005.
A Kernel-based spatio-temporal dynamical model for nowcasting radar precipitation. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100 (472), 1133-1144.
- Fox, N.I. and C.K. Wikle, 2005.
A Bayesian quantitative precipitation nowcasting scheme. Weather and Forecasting, 20, 264-275.
- Fox, N.I. and C.K. Wikle, 2005.
Providing distributed forecasts of precipitation using a Bayesian nowcast scheme. Atmospheric Science Letters, 6, 59-65.
- Fox, N.I. and J.W. Wilson, 2005.
Very short period quantitative precipitation forecasting. Atmospheric Science Letters, 6, 7-11.
- Lack, S.A. and N.I. Fox, 2005.
Errors in surface rainfall rates retrieved from radar due to wind drift. Atmospheric Science Letters, 6, 66-71.
- Fox, N.I., 2004.
The representation of rainfall drop-size distribution and kinetic energy. Hydrology & Earth Systems Sciences, 8, 1001-1007.
- W. Hand, N. I. Fox and C.G. Collier, 2004.
A study of extreme rainfall in the UK in the 20th Century with implications for forecasting. Meteorological Applications, 11, 15-31.
- Fox, N.I., R. Webb, J. Bally, M.W. Sleigh, C.E. Pierce, D.M.L. Sills, P.I. Joe, J.W. Wilson and C.G. Collier, 2004.
The impact of advanced nowcasting systems on severe weather warning, a case study: 3 November 2000. Weather and Forecasting, 19 (1), 97-114.
- Sills, D., J. Wilson, P. Joe, D. Burgess, R. Webb and N.I. Fox, 2004.
The 3 November tornadic event during S2000: Storm evolution and the role of low-level boundaries. Weather and Forecasting, 19 (1), 22-42.
- C. E. Pierce, A. Seed, E. E. Ebert, N.I. Fox, M. Sleigh, C. G. Collier, N. Donaldson, J. Wilson, R. Roberts and C. Mueller, 2004.
The Nowcasting of precipitation during Sydney 2000: an appraisal of the QPF algorithms. Weather and Forecasting, 19 (1), 7-21.
- Keenan, T., P. Joe, J. Wilson, C. Collier, B. Golding, D. Burgess, P. May, C. Pierce, J. Bally, A. Crook, A. Seed, D. Sills, L. Berry, R. Potts, I. Bell, N.I. Fox, E. Ebert, M. Eilts, K. O'Laughlin, R. Webb, R. Carbone, K. Browning, R. Roberts and C. Mueller, 2003.
The Sydney 2000 World Weather Research Programme Forecast Demonstration Project: Overview and current status. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 84, 1041-1054.
- Tilford, K.A., N.I. Fox and C.G. Collier, 2002.
A weather radar system for urban hydrology. Meteorological Applications, 9, 95-104.